Monday, January 02, 2006

Joseph's Sick

Joseph’s Sick: A Play

By Kaushik Viswanath

Characters:
Robo: A Man – The victim of the play
Niya: A woman – Robo’s wife
George: A man – The mason
Joseph: A man – Nobody
Fromus: A man – Nurse
Lieben: A girl – Niya’s daughter of George

SCENE I – Robo and Niya’s House
Robo: I feel sick.
Niya (feeling his forehead): So do you.
Robo: “So do you”? What do you mean?
Niya: Joseph’s sick
Robo: Who’s Joseph?
Niya: How should I know?
Robo: I thought you knew.
Niya: The mason.
Robo: What about him?
Niya: His name is George.
Robo: So?
Niya: Starts with the same letter as “Joseph”.
Robo: No. “Joseph” starts with J. “George” starts with G.
Niya: So what? I love him!
Robo: What?
Niya: You heard me. I don’t love you anymore. I love him. I’m leaving you.
Robo: Who’s him? Joseph? And how can you leave me? We got married yesterday! Plus, I’m sick! You can’t leave a sick man… can you?
Niya: You don’t even listen when I’m talking. I love George!
Robo: The mason?
Niya: Yes!
Robo: For how long?
Niya: Since I met you.
Robo: Huh?
(Niya storms out of the house)

SCENE II – The Hospital
Fromus: Lovely.
Robo: What?
Fromus: You have a temperature of 310.
Robo: What?!?!
Fromus: Kelvin. 310 Kelvin.
Robo: What?
Fromus: That’s 37 degrees Celcius. Normal body temperature. We’ll have to move you to the operation theatre.
Robo: What?!!
Fromus: Just kidding. Oh, you know what?
Robo: What?
Fromus: You have a visitor.
(Joseph walks in)
Joseph: Hi Robo, I’m Joseph.
Robo: What?
Joseph (yelling, really screaming): I SAID, HI ROBO, I’M JOSEPH! I LOVE NIYA AND I’M GOING TO MARRY HER!
Robo: What?!?!
Joseph: Sorry, I didn’t say the part about Niya the first time. We’re getting married tomorrow.
Robo: What…
Joseph: … about your marriage? It was a fake wedding, so there’s no problem.
Robo: What?!!?
Joseph: Yep. Fake wedding. Fromus here was the priest. He happens to be a Satanist.
Robo: What!!??
Joseph: You’d better believe it.
Robo: What about George?
Joseph: The mason?
Robo: Yes.
Joseph: What about him?

SCENE III – Niya and George’s Home – 5 years later.
(Robo walks in.)
Robo: Hello Niya.
Niya: Hello Robo, nice to see you after so many years.
Lieben: Unkal, Unkal, come have some human kidney juice!
Niya: Oh, Lieben, stop being morbid.
Robo: Who’s this?
Niya: Lieben. She’s my daughter.
Robo: She’s so cute and chubby.
Niya: Oh, she’s not chubby. She’s obese.
Robo: Um… she’s just chubby!
Niya: Oh stop it. You don’t have to be polite. She’s got all George’s genes. More like George’s mother’s genes.
Robo: George? This is George’s child?
Niya: Mine, too. She’s only 50% George, you know.
Robo: … What about Joseph?
Niya: Who’s that?
Robo: Joseph. He visited me in hospital and told me he was going to marry you.
Niya: Tsk tsk tsk. No such thing. I don’t know any Joesph.
Robo: Oh. So you’re married to George?
Niya: The mason?
Robo: Yes.
Niya: Yes.

SCENE IV – George’s Room.
(George is cementing bricks in odd places in his room)
Robo: George?
George: I’m leaving.
Robo: Huh?
George: I’m leaving Niya and Lieben.
Robo: What?! Why?
George: I’ve just realised something.
Robo: What?
George: What?
George: I love you, Robo.
Robo: What!!??
George (yelling): I SAID I LOVE YOU, ROBO, WILL YOU BE MY WIFE OR HUSBAND?
Robo: … Does your name start with J?

--- Curtain ---

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Naaaice one

2:04 am  
Blogger Sthupit Girl said...

#mistake no1: "And you can you leave me"

#second: 310 C is NOT normal body temp.

Thirdly..very naice. DId u think of this when u were suposed to be studying chemistry??

6:11 am  
Blogger Kaushik said...

Preetika,

I am extremely grateful that you pointed out these errors.

mistake no.1: It has been fixed. The correct sentence is "And how can you leave me?"

Mistake no.2: 310K is normal body temperature, 370C is not. Normal body temperature is 37 degrees C, and while copying from Word to Blogger, the superscript 0 for degrees was unsuperscripted, making 37 370. I have now just written degrees in letters, instead of using the symbol.

Koze

10:18 pm  
Blogger Kaushik said...

Also, preetika, I wrote this during a chemistry period, I think.

Koze

10:20 pm  
Blogger Sthupit Girl said...

i am extremely greatful that you are greatful for me having pointed out those errors (?? that soudns weird).

oh crap. i can't do the mean bitch routine. i'm sorry i had to post them, i'd have told u if u were online.

and if i forgot to mention it, good one.

5:12 am  
Blogger Jitterplate said...

you are good!!

now i know why you call your forte nonsense!

don't get me wrong, i'm all praises

9:02 am  
Blogger JMPerkins said...

Hehe, I cam, I saw, I read a funny play. And then I went and ate some banana cake.

4:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dei you changed it!
Wasn't Lieben pregnant, and not obese?

4:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw, it's not greatful, it's grateful.

4:18 am  
Blogger Kaushik said...

In the original draft, Lieben was pregnant, but that could be misconstrued as indicative of child abuse, and I didn't want any misconstruationism. And yes, Nandy, and Preetika, it is grateful, not greatful. You've made the same mistake in your blog, too, Pk.

4:40 am  
Blogger Kaushik said...

Koze

4:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol :D

8:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great. The way I see it, this play must be performed real fast. Like start to end in about 6 minutes. That way, you'd have enjoyed the nonsense, but you'll be pulling your hair out long after the play just sorting the characters out!

Another thing... in a play like this why do you worry abt political correctness? I am curious to know how Lieben's pregnancy would have been played out.

5:28 am  
Blogger Kaushik said...

Oh, there's not much difference, really. It's just that when Robo calls Lieben chubby, Niya responds saying that she's pregnant, not chubby, and says it's because of some weird genes from George. I think that this works out better than the original, irrespective of political correctness.

Kaushik

9:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Leo diamond prices Kimono style jacket + red cell phone Freee tranny masterbation maternity workout clothes Bingo maniacs Chrysler town and country repair Comics free star wars hentai Forex research online forex trading currency custom exchange holmes humidifier filter Lesson plans call of the wild

10:32 pm  
Blogger over alfim said...

awesome stuff.

i think the comment just before this one is deletable as spam.

keep going!

10:24 pm  
Blogger nerdyberdy said...

Ozzum yo.

10:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home